Friday 21 October 2011

Big Catch up! Luna, W.A.O tryouts and puppies @ 2 weeks!

I didnt do an update for their 1 week birthdays as Luna hasnt been well, Firstly I didnt have the time to spend on here typing away and uploading piccies but also I didnt know how serious luna was.



Luna in her chair
Luna got diarrhoea on Thursday and I gave her some pro-kolin (always have it at home for these occasions!) By Friday it was really bad and showing no signs of clearing, so I took her to the vets. After a short examination she sent us home instructing me to put her on boiled chicken and rice diet for the weekend with some extra vitamins and  pro biotic tablets for 10 days, said 'this should see her through it, come back Monday if its still the same'.




                                                                                                                      
                                                                                                       

On Sunday,  I had a very early start to get to the W.A.O Tryouts, Fudge and I got picked up at 5.30am with all the other dogs still tucked up in bed! I then had a tx just before my 1st run to say Lunas refusing to eat.  For some dogs I would not worry, but for Luna, Ive never known her not eat! Infact, she even ate about 4 hours before giving birth!  This was then a constant nag and worry to me through the day, I would like to thank all my agility friends for all their kind words and advise throughout the day and after.
Joe was keeping me up to date via calls and txs saying she seems fine in herself but not eating or drinking. Just to get something down her, he gave her just some chicken, (thats all she would take) and then drank the stock.

I bumbled through the day, Some bits we ran nicely, a lot she got me out of trouble and the rest.... well.....

Although it was a lovely day, really hot, well organised and everyone was in high spirits, when it came to running poor Fudge, I really had know idea where I was going on each exercise, as I walked the courses I found my self thinking what could be wrong with Lu. If at any point Joe had said Lunas not right in herself, with out question I would have gone home. In hindsight, I should have gone anyway as I found myself at the end of each run, picking up Fudge, giving her treats and a cuddle and saying 'im sorry'. I hate the feeling of letting my dogs down, of course she has no idea we went wrong! She just loves it sooo much and always has a smile on her face!

Sunday night, after dinner Luna was laying on the floor and I noticed her head shaking, I went over to her and put my hands on her, she was trembling, when I spoke to her and tried to get her to wake up(I thought she was dreaming) her eyes rolled in the back of her head, As I got her up, she walked with a wobble then lay back down again on her side. It was about 10pm by this time. I said to Joe, Im calling the vets and he agreed. I find myself being a little neurotic about this sort of thing   ;-) where as Joe will keep his head and tell me not to bother if he didnt think it necessary. The vet called back within a matter a minutes and went through some questions with me, after deciding that she really ought to see her and warning me that it is going to be a VERY expensive call out, by 10.30pm we were at the vets. She gave her a thorough examination, and decided to narrow it down to eclampsia, aka milk fever.  She said she cant be sure but thats what we will start with. After 6 injections, calcium, folic acid, antibiotics...............more tablets, inc antibiotics we got out of there at 11.30pm and went home. Sunday night was one of very little (no) sleep but by the morning Lu seemed much better and was willing to eat again, she was also willing to feed her pups again :-)

I didnt realise how close a call it was, I didnt realise that if we hadnt got to the vets that night, then we might not of had a luna in the morning. From now until the pups are weened (which we have been advised to do early) Luna will be under 24 hour watch. It will always be something I will look out for in any future litters. I guess you live and learn in everything you do and am very grateful for family and friends support.



So...... The puppies!!!!!

Mr Big - 13 days - 34 oz

Well, They are of course totally scrumptious!!!! and none the wiser, they are, perfectly plump, happy and contented babies which are growing so quickly! They obviously dont realise they are sucking all the calcium straight out of poor lulu. Im glad she didnt have any more than 5 as there would be no room for them at the milk bar anymore!


                                 Miss Dash - 13 days - 32 oz

Miss Dash, has today, opened her eyes, the first of the litter, all the others are starting to open, so hopefully within a couple of days they will be proper puppies! As of yesterday they also think its funny to climb out of their bed and plonk themselves in lunas bed out of their box! This morning I found 3 of them in there and luna on the floor! Time for a bigger box with a higher step into it me thinks! 


                                                                                                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Mr Ridge 13 days - 34 oz                                                                                         
Although Im cutting the pups claws regularly they are getting rather sharp and Luna's belly looked so sore, So Ive been putting Aloe Vera gel on it. All the scratches and sores cleared within 24 hours and by rubbing a little in everyday, her belly is as smooth as a babies bum! I love this product and use it on myself a lot especially after being at a show all day in the summer, or burning myself on the cooker!



 Mr Titch -  13 days- 34 oz



            Miss Five - 13 days- 34 oz



 

                          'Peas in a pod'



Well, after that huge update, signing off for now, cant wait for them to start changing over the next couple of weeks, so exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment