Saturday 8 October 2011

Puppies..... Luna is a Star!!

At 8pm last night (fri) Luna started nesting, very subtly, and this was going to be her way throughout the whole thing!

I decided to try to get my head down for a couple of hours whilst it looked like she wasn’t doing much this was at 10.30ish, Joe then came to bed an hour later and put Luna to bed also, who is in our spare room, I have been staying in there the last week as she has needed out for a wee a couple of times a night.

At 12.30 am I got woke up to Luna being slightly unsettled, I got up and sat in her whelping pen with her and she snuggled into me for the next couple of hours whilst I read. All of a sudden she jumped up and the water sac appeared and burst.

Angela, who had very kindly agreed to help me whelp the pups said any time day or night call her and she will come. I felt really guilty as it was now 2am, but I called and she came straight over, she lives half hour from us and bless her she was there in half hour of phoning!

By the time I had put down the phone puppy number 1 was here! No real contractions just literally popped out! Luna freaked out, I helped her break the sac and as she was distressed the cord snapped, Oh my! That was a lot of blood! I tried giving pup to lu to bring round but she totally disowned it :( So I got him going and put him in the whelping box as Luna really thought it was the devil that came out of her! I knew Angela was nowhere close so had to get on with it the best I could.

Pup 1 born at 2am - Dog - 14 oz










Luna settled but was not going to talk or let the first pup near her. Joe went off to meet Angela and as he stepped out the door Pup 2 fell out of her. She was much better this time, although, she was not in her bed as she had gone to the door we managed on our nice newly laid floors with no newspaper..... Oh well, that’s why we didn’t have carpet :-)  I grabbed a towel put it under puppy and let her work on it, which she did, I thought this would be a good time to put the first pup with her too, she took to them both and when she sorted pup 2 out I put all 3 in the bed. Just at that Angela and Joe arrived! Thank God!!! I was trying to keep calm but on the inside having a nervous breakdown!

Pup 2 born at 2.25am - Bitch - 12 oz


Now Angela was here I let her take over! She has done this Hundreds of times breeding her own so I watched and learnt! ;-) Pup 3 was breech, but again we wouldn’t have even known it was on its way, Lu Just lead there nursing the other 2 whilst it half came out and then a couple of  mins later out popped the rest, this little boy had a nice soft landing as she was in her box on the vet bed. Angela broke the sac and it took its first breath by itself.

Pup 3 born at 3am - Dog - 12 oz


Luna wasn’t too sure about sorting the cord, by the time she had cleaned up and the pup was suckling she moved from the bed to the pen and lead there whilst number 4 slipped out, again quite content, she looked down and cleaned it up.

Pup 4 born at 3.35am Dog - Titch at just 10 oz

Angela had a feel and was convinced there was another there. Within the hour Luna had cleaned up and was settling down with her 4 lovely puppies and was quite happy to go to sleep on the newspaper. The bump that was there had now disappeared so presumed it was somewhere on its way. Not that Lu was much help in letting us know, at 5 am Luna was lead against Angela, She could feel the contraction again her leg but we could not see it and wouldn’t have known otherwise, After a couple of small contractions out came number 5, This one took a couple of mins to get its breath and took Luna even longer to realise it was there!

Pup 5 born 5am – Bitch – 12 oz


So in 3 hours we have nice plump puppies full of life and a spaniel with a fab waist line back!

Thank you so much to Angela who helped whelp my precious puppies, I couldn’t have done it without you!

Keep posted for more pics and vids of the little black slugs, any suggestions for puppy names welcome!

Signing off for now zzzzzzzzzzzzzz J








1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous puppies and well done Luna.

    Mum says how about naming them Slugs One through Five? Or Squooshy, Squelchy, Slimy, Squiggly and Squirmy?

    I say how about naming them after other moons in the galaxy - Larissa, Europa, Ganymede, Phoebe, Leda & Pandora and the boys - Charon,Io, Pan, Phobos, Callisto and Puck.

    ReplyDelete